Saturday, September 11, 2010

Obstacles...

College is all about change. The biggest obstacle I have faced over the past two weeks is a combination of many different things. The first would have to be making friends. I consider myself to be a very quiet and reserved person, naturally it is difficult for me to meet new people and open up right away. I am confident that in time I will start making good friends with my fellow students, instead of just acquaintances.

The second biggest obstacle that I have faced is the transition itself. I am the type of person that settles into something and has a hard time adjusting to big changes. I came from a fairly small, all girls high school (127 members in the class of 2010), to me Southern is absolutely huge! It was overwhelming at first and I wondered exactly what it was that I had gotten myself into. I was afraid of what people might think of me and I was terrified of getting lost and not being able to find my classes. However, I faced my fears and now I am adjusting and I am beginning to love it more and more each day.

It is important to know that valuable lessons can be learned from these experiences. The most important thing that you should know is that change can sometimes be a good thing. Even though change may be very hard for you, you should face it and work hard to overcome that obstacle. Being here at Southern has taught me to embrace change! I want to get involved and I want to meet people and make new friends.
Chinese symbol for "change"

No comments:

Post a Comment