Saturday, October 23, 2010

"Generation Me"

In all honesty I feel that today’s society is more self-centered than ever before. Right now the world is a very cutthroat place where there is no room for failure. People tend to think that if they don’t think only of themselves they will fail. This is truly unfortunate because it is creating a culture without compassion and understanding for others.

The idea of always thinking of yourself is different than loving yourself. I love myself, but I do not consider myself a selfish person and I constantly try to put others, especially family and friends, before myself. I think this is partly due to the way I was raised and things I have experienced in my life. People often complain about silly and unimportant things and they fail to see that others may be going through much worse situations.

My younger sister recently lost a friend to cancer; he was only fourteen years old. I think back to the wake and the funeral, the mass and the burial, I think about his parents and his family. His parents lost their only son and I am complaining because I have to wash dishes? Never again! I think about how they must feel and realize that in reality I have no problem that I cannot overcome. I can study harder and do the chores I dislike, but they can never have their son back.

People need to take time to have compassion for others and realize that they might not be the only one having a bad day. Always keep yourself grounded and never forget who you truly are. Love yourself without losing yourself.  

*"Generation Me Article"*

RIP Nick 4-15-10 In our hearts and minds forever. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment