Saturday, October 16, 2010

Having a Peer Mentor!

The one thing that our Inquiry class was missing was a peer mentor, a role now fulfilled by a wonderful young woman named Lee!

I think that having a peer mentor in our Inquiry class is an integral part in our learning experience in that class. We are able to see the school from a student’s perspective, rather than just the professors. She is realistic and does not hold back when we ask her questions, she is honest! I like her “tell it like is” attitude, it’s good for people to hear that.

I also like the fact that she as an opportunity to meet with us for the beginning of class because we usually do an activity that prepares us for class and makes us think deeply or de stress. So far we have had a laughing activity that was a lot of fun and a poetry activity that allows us to search within ourselves and learn more about who we are as individuals.

As I stated earlier I think a peer mentor adds an outside factor to the class. Lee is someone we can look up to and at the same time be friends with. She is a student but at the same time we see her as a role model and someone to look up to. In the short amount of time that she has been with us I have learned a lot from her.

Lee has shown me how to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new, in the confines of the classroom. I enjoy listening to her stories and her advice about college and life in general. She is a role model to me, she is a living example that starting over and making in life is possible! I see her and strive to be that actively involved in the campus and maintain a high grade point average at the same time. Thank you Lee!!



No comments:

Post a Comment