Saturday, October 30, 2010

Stepping Outside...

I am a naturally reserved person and I am quiet and shy. Sometimes I worry that I come across as rude or better than others, but that is truly not the case! I really am not. It is just very difficult for me to be as outgoing as those around me; it is very difficult for me to jump into conversations and discussions in class. This in turn affects my ability to make new friends and receive credit for class participation.

With this in mind, I decided to begin participating more in class and trying to talk to students in my classes. While this may seem silly to some and come naturally to them, it is difficult for me. This past week I consciously made myself participate in all of my classes once. Even though it was hard, it was nice. I always have comments and responses running through my head, I just usually keep it to myself. So it was nice to be able to vocalize those comments.

I also began talking to my classmates. I now have two more new friends here at SCSU. It has always been hard to make new friends because it is so difficult for me to open up to others. I became accustomed to others seeking me out instead of putting myself out there. Here at SCSU I have to find my own friends and not always wait for others to find me. I am slowly changing, and I know it will take some time, but I am confident that I will succeed in making new friends and coming into my own here at Southern!

**I linked an article about tips on how to participate in college classes. If you are interested take a peek!!

No comments:

Post a Comment